Congress logo
Back to Conference page

The 13th World Conference on Tobacco OR Health

Building capacity for a tobacco-free world

July 12-15, 2006, Washington, DC, USA



Thursday, July 13, 2006 - 3:30 PM
61-1

The prevalence of smoking among medical students in faculty of medicine, Tripoli, Libya, and their attitudes relating to tobacco issues

Ahmed M. Buni, ED, D, Department of community medicine, faculty of medicine. University of EL-Fateh - Tripoli Libya., P.O.Box 30846 Tajura Tripoli. Libya, Tajura -Tripoli, Libya

Objective: The aim of the study was to investigate the prevalence of cigarette smoking among the medical students and their attitudes relating to tobacco issues in the Faculty of Medicine Tripoli, Libya.

Methods: A self-filled administered modified version of International Tobacco Prevention Initiative medical students survey was used for data collection.

Results: Out of the total 1250 surveyed students 1128 students completed the Questionnaires (response rate = 90%) 530 male ( 47%) and 598 females( 53%) . Ever-smoking rates for medical students were found to be 14% for males and only 0.5% for females The prevalence in the total study sample was 7% . 880 students (78%) strongly agreed and 124 students (11%) somewhat agreed (Total 1004 (89%) that laws should impose financial penalties for the sale of tobacco products to minors. The results indicated that 1073 (95%) of the study sample did not received any specific training at their medical schools on how to support patients who want to quit smoking.

The majority of the students 932 (83%) strongly agree and 134 (12%) somewhat agree (Total 1066 (95%)) of the study sample indicated that doctors should be more active than they have been in speaking to lay groups about tobacco issues. The result of this study indicate that medical students in faculty of medicine in Tripoli Libya as future health professionals needs more knowledge and specific training programs in their school in order to deal effectively and professionally with tobacco issues particularly in how to encourage patients to stop smoking.